So we’re into the final push for the Kickstarter campagin for Missing Word Media’s City of Titans.
With only 4 days left and nearly a solid month of fund-raising behind it, I’m happy to report that the Kickstarter has raked in over a half a million dollars for the game. A solid showing for a genre many consider to be dead-end and a gaming company made up entirely of volunteers. I can’t overemphasize that volunteer aspect enough. None of the developers working on this game are professional game makers, and it’s a very exciting time for this to be built. Given the focus on publisher driven models and publisher driven demands for games, MWM has a real chance at something unique and special, that deserves to succeed.
Below are some of my favorite updates from the project so far, and just add to the reasons for why you should contribute, if you haven’t already. And now a warning. These updates are notes for a game that is in the pre-alpha stages of development. Things may (and most assuredly will) change.
- Update # 12. This update provided us with a glimpse of how powers and classes will work in the game. I for one am super excited about it. It takes the archetype system of City of Heroes and extends it, above and beyond what we had before.
- Update # 3. This update was about instances, and all the fun and exciting ways that the development team is trying to change things up with instances beyond the traditional, go here, do this, rinse and repeat model we’ve seen before.
- Update # 11. This post was all about Titan City’s Downtown district. It’s my favorite of the starter zones revealed so far, and I can’t wait to see what else they have in store for it.
- Update # 17. This post brought us information about the three-tiered alignment system that City of Titans will be making use of. In combination with update # 33 about reputations, this gives us an excellent understanding of how NPC interactions may work in the game.
And last but most certainly not least:
- Update # 29. Costumes, costumes, costumes!
So if you haven’t contributed yet and want to see a fantastic player made experiment in MMO gaming succeed, hit the site and throw some cash their way. You won’t regret it.